Pregnancy comes with its fair share of excitement and anticipation and tender moments, but my first trimester requires a survival guide. With growing bumps, hormones out of whack and touchy nausea, I’ve kept a list of (and clung to) my tried and true lifesavers. Here’s to looking, and sometimes feeling, like you are keeping it all together!
To Wear —
1. Seamless day bra – I have one in almost every color. They’re so comfortable, super inexpensive, and perfect for sensitive and ever-changing, pregnancy boobs.
2. V-neck caftan – A little pricey but my favorite splurge this pregnancy. I had an event earlier this month that called for dressier attire but I couldn’t get excited about anything in this awkward, transition phase where maternity clothes aren’t necessary (or wanted, as I hadn’t shared the news yet) but of course, I still wanted to feel chic and put together. This dress was so comfortable and hid my already noticeable bump perfectly without looking frumpy. Can’t wait to wear this all the way through this pregnancy and beyond.
Baby Mama Beauty —
3. BB cream – My skin freaked on me this pregnancy in a way it never has. I try to wear a light BB cream, if anything, to keep from irritating it more.
4. Oil-free foundation – When I do need to get more dressed up, then this oil-free but high coverage foundation is an instant fix.
To Feel Better —
5. Ginger ale – The best ginger ale ever and a total lifesaver for nausea. My sister-in-law brought it to me on my worst day and I’ve been trying to figure out how to get it plugged into an IV ever since.
6. Ginger mints – Ginger in all its forms eases my pregnancy sickness. More ginger goodness when you’re sick of drinking it.
To Catch a Break —
7. Floor coloring pages – I found this French company at the shop-up we participated in last month in LA. I brought home a large size poster for my kids and they were all three totally engaged. All the while I sat on the sofa next to them, sometimes participating, but mostly just lying there, sick as a dog and happy they felt like I was a part of it.
8. Netflix – The next time you’re up with heartburn or you wake up at 2 AM every morning for no apparent reason (don’t you love it when people tell you it’s because your body is preparing you to be awake all night when the baby comes?), I recommend binge watching Tina Fey’s Netflix series “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” You’ll laugh so hard you won’t care that you’re awake.